The Chiapas Support Committee / Comité de Apoyo a Chiapas (CSC) is a grassroots all-volunteer group based in Oakland, California. CSC serves as a center for education and information about Chiapas, the Zapatista communities and Mexico.
CSC works with Indigenous Zapatista communities to support and accompany their process of constructing autonomous health care, education and economic development.
The Chiapas Support Committee regularly organizes forums and other events and activities to share and discuss ideas, analyses and developments related to the Zapatista communities, Mexico and U.S.-related policies.
The Chiapas Support Committee;
- supports and accompanies the construction of autonomy in the La Garrucha region of Zapatista Territory, which currently involves supporting the zone’s autonomous education system: construction of schools, providing supplies for teachers and students, support for continuing education of teachers and the eventual construction of a secondary (middle) school system that includes dormitories for the students;
- provides education and information to the public about the Zapatistas, Chiapas, and Mexico through public events, the Chiapas Update newsletter, our email lists, Facebook page and our blog. We also offer classes on Zapatista history and projects;
- supports Zapatista production by purchasing from Zapatista cooperatives in Chiapas at the price the coop members set, selling those products here in the SF Bay Area and returning any profits to the Zapatista communities;
- assists and accredits applicants to study at the Oventik Language School, a language school for activists to study either Spanish or a Mayan language (Tsotsil);
- is a member collective of the Omni Commons.