The Social Justice Action Center (SJAC) is a grassroots non-profit (501c3 status) organization with a community space in the heart of Southeast Portland, Oregon.
SJAC supports grassroots community organizing and we have six main programs:
1) Managing a community space for events, meetings and retreats
2) Providing low-income housing
3) Hosting storage/office space in our basement
4) Offering free community events, film series and discussions.
5) Coordinating a community/commercial kitchen
6) Stop the Sweeps PDX Hygiene Station Open Hours
SJAC prioritizes the leadership of marginalized communities, especially those of color. In particular, we recognize the sovereignty of indigenous peoples of this land, such as the Multnomah and other Chinookan villages of the confluence of these great rivers and the Kalapuya and Wasco peoples in the nearby hills and valleys (some of whose descendants are now part of the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, of Siletz, and of Warm Springs).
SJAC is run by and for grassroots organizations – especially those of people of color and marginalized communities – as a place to gather, organize, and build culture. Through this work, these groups will also build relationships with each other and gain experience working across differences towards mutual understanding and solidarity.