In episode 23 of A Radical Podcast, titled “Strikes: Wildcat to Revolutionary,” we embark on a comprehensive journey through the multifaceted world of strikes. With a reach that spans continents and timelines, strikes serve as a bedrock of resistance and radical thinking. We examine the roots, dynamics, and repercussions of varying types of strikes, from the eruptive spontaneity of wildcat strikes to the organized scale of general strikes.
We kick things off by looking at the surge in strike activities in 2023, breaking down the complexities of recent developments across the world. Then, we zero in on the specific character of wildcat strikes, investigating their role in history as well as their current incarnations. From there, the discussion moves to general strikes, with case studies such as the momentous 2020 Indian general strike and the impactful 2019 Colombian general strike, as we dissect their wide-ranging effects on societies and governmental systems.
However, no exploration of strikes would be complete without addressing the critiques and challenges they face. In this episode, we also unpack how strike organizers are tackling issues of inclusivity, often employing frameworks like the People’s Movement Assembly, and discuss the logistical and ideological obstacles that lie in their path.
Our episode features an in-depth look at our partnership with General Strike US, showcasing the new tide of decentralized, community-based movements in organized labor. As we conclude, we invite you to ponder the transformative potential of strikes in reshaping systemic frameworks, and we call on you to engage with our robust community of radicals committed to upsetting the existing order.
So gear up and join us for a nuanced, yet highly impactful, look at strikes as potent instruments for radical change.
➡ Resources & References
➡ Show Notes:
- Introduction to the episode “Strikes: Wildcat to Revolutionary,” exploring the various forms of strikes and their historical and current relevance.
- Anarchist & Radical News:
- Discussion on the increase in strike activities in 2023, featuring a detailed overview of various strikes around the world from January to October.
- Resistance Around the World:
- Exploration of wildcat strikes with historical examples and contemporary manifestations.
- In-depth discussion on general strikes, highlighting key instances like the 2020 Indian general strike and the 2019 Colombian general strike.
- Analysis of the goals, outcomes, and both tangible and intangible impacts of general strikes on societies and governments.
- Discussion on the challenges and critiques faced in organizing general strikes and how inclusivity is addressed through the People’s Movement Assembly model.
- About A Radical Guide:
- Spotlight on General Strike US, discussing its values and the collaborative partnership between General Strike US and A Radical Guide.
- Summary of key takeaways from the episode, encouraging listeners to engage with the community and look forward to more enlightening discussions on A Radical Guide.
- Listen to other Episodes here.
- Find the podcast on (and subscribe):
- Amazon Music/Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Apple Podcast